laska47

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

"MySpace"

“My Space”

My first exploration in “MySpace” quickly made me aware that “I was an ‘immigrant’, not a native” (as discussed in Allan Coman’s lecture) and led me to ask how should I handle this situation.
The choice was overwhelming so I went from one subject to another without really connecting. I experienced that it was time consuming and that I needed to be clear on what I was wanting from this media. I was not ready to appreciate the amount of information which ranged from objective knowledge to observations of a personal nature. How was I to connect in such an open forum? Many questions came to my mind. Why are people so ready to expose themselves at such a personal level? Why do they feel free at times to be so aggressive to one another? What does time spent in these forums replace? Can one connect and receive support from such media? Is there something missing in the lives of people that they need to connect in this way? Does it compliment or replace real human interaction?
From a positive point of view, I acknowledge that there is information to be found in this media which may enrich me in some way.
I recognise that I need more time to find answers to my questions to be able to guide the younger generation to use this media for their benefit and in a healthy manner.
At this stage I experience that my views towards “MySpace” lack objectivity and therefore I may not be giving a fair assessment of the value of it. In time I will explore this media further in an effort to connect with and understand those that use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home